The Advantages of Natural Gas
- Natural gas burns cleaner than the other fossil fuels such as coal and oil due to the highly efficient combustion process, which produces very few by-products that are released into the atmosphere as pollutants.
- Natural gas produces 70% less carbon dioxide emissions compared to other fossil fuels.
- Due to the clean burning process, natural gas does not leave residues like soot or ash when compared to coal.
- Natural gas offers a high heating value, approximately 24,000 Btu per pound.
- Natural gas is non-toxic and is not poisonous to humans if inhaled in small volumes.
- Utilising natural gas removes the need for large underground storage facilities and reduces the possibility of soil contamination when compared with oil and there is less chance of the need for large scale environmental clean ups using natural gas.
- Natural gas is relatively inexpensive when compared to coal.
- Natural gas is considered to be a reliable form of energy production because the pipeline system is not susceptible to bad weather conditions unlike the transport of coal or oil, which is often moved by lorry.